31 Genius Home Decor Ideas
This is 31 Home Decor Hacks That Are Borderline Genius
You’re allowed to take shortcuts in life, especially if they make your house prettier.
1. If you need an easy way to hang a curtain rod, use Command hooks. So smart that if you live in a rental or are just plain too lazy to drill a freakin’ hole in the wall. Get these little nice chrome ones from Amazon.
2. Repurpose your old rhinestone necklaces to make curtain tiebacks for a bohemian-inspired home. It’s like a chandelier for your curtains!!!
3. Easily switch out seasonal plants by placing your potted plants IN pots. Ah, the POT IN POT method. So obvious it hurts your brain that you didn’t think of it first.
4. If you have an exposed closet or clothing rack, use colored tape to prettify your hangers. Imagine a brightly colored sundress hanging off that striped one and you will be reminded that this is totally worth the effort.
5. Use a hollowed-out book to hide an unsightly router. If you’re averse to the idea of desecrating books for the sake of home decor, try using a binder or a pretty photo album instead.
6. Use a Sharpie and draw a design on a light bulb to cast a neat shadow when the light is turned on. Most kids will love it.
7. Use an upside-down Command hook on the backside of a door to hang a wreath.
8. Jute rope is a cheap way to add a rustic/nautical touch to any window dressing. Bonus points if you incorporate a sailor’s knot. A smart idea from remodelista.
9. Cut an inexpensive duvet cover in half to make curtains, the fabric will be doubled, creating its own “lining”.
10. If you’re looking for a subtle pop of color, paint the sides of your door. A nice little compromise when you want to paint a room hot pink but your housemate doesn’t.
11. Painting the sides of a dresser adds a delightful detail to a child’s room.
12. Place a can under a candle in a large vase, you’ll use less filler AND the candle will sit straight!!
13. Put your mouthwash in a decanter. Adds a touche de classe to any bathroom sink.
14. Light an array of candles in an unused fireplace. Firewood! Who needs it?? Add a photo of Harry Styles in there for a DIY shrine.
15. Update an unsightly fan with ribbons and tape. Basically, turn your fan into a child’s bicycle.
16. Coat the inside of a lampshade with glitter to create a cool reflective light effect. For when you can’t afford a disco ball.
17. Half-painted walls will give the illusion of higher ceilings.
18. Tie shower curtains on with bows instead of metal rings that rust.
19. Poke holes in a dark lampshade for a starry effect.
20. For a statement wall hanging, Staples does over-sized prints called “cengineer prints.” The largest size is 3 by 4 feet and they cost only $4.99.
21. Use removable contact paper to pre-arrange your photo gallery before drilling holes.
22. A slim floating bookcase is a nice, clean way to add storage to dead space. In other words, make your dead space COME ALIVE. Get the directions down there on how to turn an Ikea bookshelf into a floating one.
23. Use embroidery floss to weave a welcome message onto your screen door.
24. Use a paste of water and cornstarch to make removable wallpaper out of fabric.
25. Paint your unsightly vinyl or laminate floors. Vinyl or laminate flooring can make any kitchen or bathroom look dirty and cheap. You’ll be surprised at how well a floor paint job will actually hold up.
26. For a space-saving lamp, hang a ligh tbulb on a cord off of a wall-mounted shelf bracket. This will look great in a minimalist space. Paint the cord, or cover it in washi tape or embroidery floss, if it’s unsightly. Get the bracket from Ikea.
27. If you’re hanging something heavy on your walls, use tape to measure the distance between two holes.
28. For a cheap and classy alternative to bookshelves, use stair treads and corbels.
29. Transform a boring window roller blind by covering it with pretty fabric and attaching it with hot glue.
30. Similarly, you can do the same thing to an ugly rubber mat using spray adhesive. No-sew fabric projects make you secretly feel like you’re cheating. follow more instruction in video description.
And 31. So relieved we live in an age where this exists. Mycolortopia.com This handy website lets you see how your room will look with different paint colors. What the hell took technology so long?